This is a republishing, with some minor tweaks and alternatives provided, of the original recipe by Andrew Muller. I could not find some of the ingredients in local shops, so had to slightly tweak things.
I’d also recommend against using paper muffin cups, as the first two tray-fulls of these were so stuck to them half the muffin content ends up going to waste.
The ingredient volumes below make about 20-30 muffins depending on how big you make them.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup agave (alternative: ~100ml honey mixed with ~50ml hot water to achieve similar consistency)
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (alternative: 1/2 cup wholewheat flour)
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk (almond milk for dairy free)
- Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, almonds, chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Mix eggs, vanilla, apple sauce, banana & agave.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Finally, pour in milk and mix.
- Spray a muffin pan with baking oil or use muffin liners. Pour batter evenly into each liner. If using toppings add them onto tops of muffins now.
- Bake 35-40 min, test with toothpick if it comes out clean the muffins are done. Cool and enjoy, or freeze in freezer bags if you plan on storing them more than a few days.