I recently spent some time in Australia, specifically Sydney and Melbourne, and took a bunch of photos from a few parks and interesting places in Sydney (unfortunately I was pretty ill and didn’t get out very far in Melbourne).
I really enjoyed the number of parks and amount of greenery around the city centres.
I recently went through the process of reinstalling the media PC connected to my TV, which I use to run Kodi for movies and TV, and Steam in Big Picture mode, which allows me to stream Windows-only games from my desktop to the couch.
I thought it would be useful to describe my setup and the process to achieve it, in case anyone else is interested in creating their own custom Kodi/Debian/Steam builds.
After almost exactly two years since the last release of Out of Eve, here is version 3.0.
As may be noted from the release note, the main goal of this release is to catch everything up with the current state of EVE, it’s API, and the static data dump.
Along the way some new stuff was also added an improved, like the new menu system which allows access to all your characters, so there’s no need to switch between them and then view detail pages, and the introduction of
memcachedcaching, which stores and retrieves entities loaded from the static database dump, reducing page load times and database accesses (a single page load may result in hundreds of individual MySQL queries).
I’m rather pleased with this release, and it seems a lot more solid than most before.
More a curiosity than an actual useful project, I just had an Idea I wanted to try out, and this is the result.
This Java application (or library, if you want to include it in your own project) simply takes a source image, a couple of optional parameters, and outputs a new image with a halftone- like effect.
Briefly, works by stepping through the pixels of the source image at an interval defined by the dot size specified, samples the brightness of that pixel, and draws a circle onto the destination image, scaled according to the source pixel brightness.
For reference, take a look at the
BufferenImageclasses. It’s really nice to half a whole bunch of image processing and drawing capabilities available within the standard library, rather than needing to rely on external things (as I recently discovered to be the case with Ruby - pretty much all image processing is done via an ImageMagick dependency).
The source, documentation and a download are available from the
image-halftoneGitHub project page.
Yup. It looks different. For the first time in over 11 years, this website is not being built dynamically by PHP scripts.
I’ve jumped on the static site generation bandwagon, and after taking a look at several options (primarily Hugo and Nikola), and decided to settle on Jekyll. At the end of the day the easiest to install and get started with won, basically (which I found amusing for a Ruby project, for some reason).
There are a couple of reasons for wanting to change. Primarily, it seems every second day I read about some new Wordpress exploit wiping out sites left right and centre. It’s just another point of admin to update things all the time, which I could do without. Additionally, I’m tired of bots smashing into the admin login page all day. While it doesn’t really impact me all that much, it’s just something that bothers me.
The myriad plugins “required” to manage comment spam, the aforementioned login attempts, galleries, links, etc. all provide their own potential security issues, and all need to be regularly updated (assuming their authors didn’t abandon them years ago).
Finally, I wanted to do some custom design (yes, I’m not fantastic at it), but the thought of building mixed HTML and PHP templates for Wordpress horrifies me.
For the conversion, I used the Jekyll Wordpress migration process, which resulted in a bit of a mess, followed by conversion from HTML to Markdown using Pandoc, which did an excellent job. Over several days I had to clean up and reformat most pages, rebuild the galleries, redesign everything, etc., but I feel the result is worth it.
The full source code (plugins, config, assets, posts etc) are available in GitHub if anyone wants to steal anything.
Now that we have dependency management with Ivy working along with everything else covered before, we’ve covered almost everything required to start building real projects with Ant.
Another thing any real project should have, is unit tests. Thankfully, using the scaffolding already put in place in earlier parts of this series, integrating a JUnit testing task into our existing build script is really straight-forward.
A major part of any non-trivial application these days is the inclusion and re-use of 3rd party libraries which implement functionality your applications require. When a project starts, it’s probably easy enough to manually drop the odd
jarlibrary into a
libdirectory and forget about it, but maintaining a large application which depends on many libraries, which in turn depend on additional libraries for their own functionality, it can quickly turn into a nightmare to manage.
To solve this problem, many dependency management tools have been introduced, most notably, Apache Maven. Maven however, is so much more than just a dependency management tool, and is actually intended to manage your entire project structure. I believe however, the combination of Ant and Ivy provides far more flexibility, extensibility and control over your build and dependency management processes.
In part 1, we went over the basics of using Ant to create a redistributable
.jarfile, suitable for use as a library in other projects. A lot of the time however, you’re probably going to want to be building things which can actually be run as regular Java applications.
Here’s a quick explanation of what we’ve done to achieve an executable jar file: